My classmates' presentations encouraged me to think more critically about the technologies I use every day. |
I didn't exactly grow up sending messages through pigeon carriers or petroglyphs, but there were many other forms of technology that had a lasting impact on my life. As I listened to the presentations, I found myself reflecting on how much certain technologies have shaped the way I consume entertainment and communicate with others.
When I think further about the technologies that have had the biggest impact on my life, three stood out right away: iPod, motion pictures, and Netflix.
The presentation about the iPod was especially interesting to me because it was a technology I actually used growing up. My parents, one Christmas, had gotten me and my siblings an iPod touch. Before this project, I knew the iPod was popular and a sign of how advanced our technology was becoming, but I did not realize how revolutionary it was when Apple introduced it in 2001.
When I think further about the technologies that have had the biggest impact on my life, three stood out right away: iPod, motion pictures, and Netflix.
Learning that it allowed users to store thousands of songs on a single device helped me understand why it changed the music industry so dramatically and seemingly overnight.
I don't remember much about my iPod touch, but I do remember that I took it with me everywhere, even when I would lock myself out of it by forgetting the password for days.
Another presentation that caught my attention focused on motion pictures. Learning about early films made me realize how much entertainment has changed over time.
It is hard to imagine that movies once consisted of short, silent clips when today we can instantly access almost any film or show we want.
What surprised me most was realizing that the motion picture industry laid the foundation for so much of the entertainment we consume today. Growing up, watching movies always felt normal, whether it was a movie night with my family or rewatching childhood favorites.
Because film has always been such a common part of everyday life, I never really stopped to think about where it all began. Learning about the origins of motion pictures made me appreciate how one invention could
influence generations of entertainment and storytelling.
influence generations of entertainment and storytelling.
| Iconic Netflix Image |
As someone who grew up with Netflix, it is easy to take for granted being able to watch almost anything whenever I want.
In my opinion, Netflix was the first streaming service that really became a household name and changed how people watched television and movies.
It is used every day by millions of people, and honestly, I cannot remember a time when Netflix was not part of my life.
Learning about its history made me realize how quickly entertainment has evolved from movie theaters and DVDs to having thousands of shows and movies available with just a few clicks.
Learning more about their history helped me appreciate technologies that I normally take for granted and made me wonder what current technologies will seem outdated to future generations.
AI Disclosure: AI was not used in the making, writing, or research of this article. Grammarly was used only to check grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
No comments:
Post a Comment